Tuesday, February 9, 2016

And Just Like That, They Are Four!

I always thought time slowed down during the winter. Well, not THIS winter! From November 2015 until now, I am really not sure what happened...we were just busy. In January, we celebrated the twins' 4th birthday. We just had a small party with the grandparents, Aunt Meghan and the cousins.  They loved their party, especially the presents and cake.

I can't believe how much they've changed in the past year. Matilda is 4 going on 14. She really catches on to her older sister's behavior and attitude (which isn't always a good thing). I have to say that she is well-behaved for the most part, and she really does listen to me. She's like my sidekick most of the week since she's only in preschool 2 days a week (unlike Sera who goes 5 days/week). I take her everywhere and she doesn't seem to mind.  Don't get me wrong, she has her moments where she's like a typically 4 year old, but that tends to happen when she's around her sisters or when it's time for bed (and she's over-tired). She loves swimming, and she can now go under water and pick up rings at the bottom of the pool. I'm amazed how much more comfortable she is in the water compared to 4 months ago. She decided to quit dance for the new year and take gymnastics with Sera instead. After 3 classes, the instructor says she's ready for the next level. She's a fast learner.  DH is trying to teach her how to play the piano and guitar.  She really shows an interest in music.  She's still shy around people she doesn't know well, but once she's comfortable with someone, she will not stop talking.  She loves wearing dresses...pretty much everyday! Her favorite color is pink.

Sera is so different than Matilda in so many ways. I love that they are different and have their own personalities. I feel like Sera will always be young at heart. She's so carefree and happy. She doesn't like to be told what to do and sometimes, it's her way or the highway! She is persistent and demanding. Her preschool TA's joked that when she is older and in a relationship, she will wear the pants in the relationship. It's so true! She seems to like gymnastics, especially now that Matilda takes the class the with her. (As much as they argue and fight, they really do like each other and enjoy being around each other...at least, I like to think so!) Sera's speech is taking off...I think going to preschool 5 days a week with speech therapy has really helped her. She's become more independent because Matilda isn't at school to talk for her. She loves to sing in the car--it's so darn cute! She loves wearing her "kitty" leggings and her favorite color is blue.

Today, they had their 4 year old well-checks. They are both growing well and healthy. Matilda was 42 inches tall and 38 lbs while Sera was 40 inches tall and 40 lbs. Matilda had to have a urine test (I've been worried about her thirst and constant potty trips). Both girls had their first blood tests. I have to admit I was a little nervous because back in November, Sera had a crying tantrum about the flu mist up her nose. She thought it was the worst thing--2 nurses had to hold her down to give it to her!  So, I warned the phlebotomist today that Sera was a feisty one and that she better go first because if she saw Matilda cry, it would be over! Sera went first and surprised us all. She looked at what the phlebotomist was doing the entire time. No flinching, no crying, no "ouch." She even smiled as if she enjoyed having blood drawn from her. She is one of a kind. She made a liar out of me. Matilda went next, and she didn't enjoy it as much. She kept saying it hurt, but she didn't cry. I was so proud of my brave girls. My ten year old would have been a different story...she would have cried like a baby.

It's never a dull moment with these girls. It's almost midnight here, and Matilda has already gotten up once for the potty and fell out of bed within the last hour. Falling out of the bed was a first for her. They are full of surprises, and they always keeping me on my toes! I wouldn't have it any other way, though.

I love love love them!

No comments:

Post a Comment